Magic the Gathering: Zendikar League!
Start Date: February 8th. Sign-ups and initial pack openings start on February 1st.
Length of the League: 8 weeks.
League Format: 7 weeks of league play, with rankings used to seed a tournament bracket for a single elimination tournament.
Price: $26 on signup, $8 every other week. Total: $50
Prizes: Will be determined based on the number of players in the league. Roughly $20 per player will go into the prize pool. This is supposed to be a more casual league, so we are moving to a flatter payout structure and we are guaranteeing every league player will win at least something during the tournament. The player in 1st place going into the tournament will also get a separate prize.
- Upon signup, each player will receive 4 packs of Oath of the Gatewatch, 2 packs of Battle for Zendikar, 1 500-count white storage box, and a 100-pack of Dragonshield card sleeves to protect their cards.
- Every other week, players will receive 2 additional boost packs. They may choose 2 packs of Oath of the Gatewatch, 2 packs of Battle for Zendikar, or 1 of each.
- Each week Red Raccoon Games will send out pairings for 3 matches on Sunday. Players will receive an email and the pairings will be posted on the league Facebook page.
- It will be up to the players to coordinate with the other player and complete their matches by the following Sunday. This can be done via email or Facebook or any other way the 2 players know each other.
- If a player is out of town or unavailable for any reason, it is their responsibility to let the other player know and to let Red Raccoon Games staff know. Make-up matches may be made up only during the following week. If no one knows why you are not available, you will be awarded a match loss.
- Players will be awarded 3 points per match win, and 1 point per match loss. In the event of a draw, each player will be awarded 2 points.
- League night will be Tuesdays. For every league match played on Tuesday from 5pm to 10pm, each player will receive 1 entry into a special drawing we will be holding during the tourney. The end of league tourney will be help Tuesday March 29th.
- All matches are required to be played at Red Raccoon Games during normal business hours.
- All decks and card pools will be kept at the Red Raccoon Games. All decks and cards will be stored in a 500 count white cardboard box with each Player’s Name written on top and ends.
- All rares and mythics will be registered on a provided deck-list tracking sheet. RRG staff will be spot checking boxes to make sure players are being honest about what they pulled and what they are playing.
- League match slips will be available at the counter. To be legal, each match slip must have the printed and signed name of both players, AND be signed by a RRG staff member. We have had an issue with legible handwriting in the past. If we cannot tell who it is on the slip, that person will not receive points for the game.
- Sealed decks must contain a minimum of forty cards. There is no maximum deck size; however, you must be able to shuffle your deck with no assistance.
- There is no maximum number of duplicate cards allowed in the deck. (i.e. If you draw 5 of the same card in your Booster Packs, you can play with all five in your deck)
- You do not have to play the same deck every time you switch opponents, or when you come in to play any game, but you must keep the same deck during a match, unless adjusting from your sideboard between games with the same opponent during a single match. A match consists of the best of 3 games between two players.
- The League Standings will be posted on our website and in the Game Area. To locate them on our website, go to Events on the top navigation, and then go down and click on Magic League.
- All tracking sheets will be kept at the front register. When you need them, please ask a Store Employee and they will be happy to assist you! All boxes will be checked out at the front register and should be returned to the front register before you leave the Store.
- Zendikar Expeditions cards from either set may not be played, because they are technically not from either Oath or BFZ.
- The final event of the league will be a tourney on Tuesday, March 29th at 6:30 pm using your best deck from the entire league – 12 packs total. We will take the rankings from the prior 7 weeks and use them to seed a simple ladder tournament, just like the NCAA Final Four. First will play last, second will play second to last, etc. In the event of a tie in the rankings, Jamie will roll a d20 for each player and the higher number will get the higher ranking in the tournament. You may use only 1 deck and a 15 card sideboard for the entire tournament. No switching decks between rounds. There may be no draws in the tournament – there must be a winner each round.
- Red Raccoon Games staff may choose to play in the league. Their games must be scheduled with opponents during off hours – they may not play while on the clock. If RRG staff do choose to play, there will be mandatory deck checks on them and they may not be involved in deck-checking anyone else. Any prizes they might win at the tourney must be donated to the charity of their choice.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please email jamie /~at~/ redraccoongames.com
What’s with the tourney at the end of the league? One of the problems we had with the last league was that players did not get good pulls in their initial packs, and lost early games. They then felt like they were “out of the running” for prizes, so they quit playing. We got this idea from another store as a way to make it so no one is out of the running, and if they get some good pulls in later packs, they can still do well and get prizes in the tourney. At the same time, we are awarding a prize to the player in 1st place after 7 weeks for doing well overall.
So the tourney is using our existing decks and not a fresh draft? That is correct – you build your best deck with the 12 packs you opened. You will have some information on your opponents’ decks that you played in Week 7, so use that to craft your masterpiece!