Do you buy Magic cards? Yes, we buy Magic cards!
We get that question a lot, and putting it out on our webpage will hopefully let people also find the answer via Google. Call them Magic, MTG, or Magic the Gathering – no matter how you phrase it, we are always buying cards. It’s how we have come to amass one of the largest Magic collections in central Illinois! We are primarily focused on cards that are playable in Standard, Modern, EDH / Commander, and Pauper, but we do still buy & sell cards for Legacy and Vintage.
Red Raccoon Games Buy List Policy:
- RRG buy and sell prices are currently based on TCGPlayer.com Median pricing (commonly referred to as TCG Mid), rounded to the nearest nickel.
- All cards will be graded for condition using the TCG Magic Card Grading Scale.
- Cards that are damaged will have their prices lowered based on the condition of the card.
- Smell is also considered damaging to a card. Cards that smell heavily of mold or smoke or any other strong odor will have a lower value and/or may not be accepted at all.
- For cards on our published buy list, we pay 45% of TCG Mid pricing out in cash, or 65% out as store credit, rounded to the nearest nickel.
- For non-bulk, non-foil cards not on our buy list, we pay 40% of TCG Mid pricing out in cash, and 60% out as store credit, rounded to the nearest nickel.
- There are occasional exceptions to this policy – for example a brand new set during the first 2 weeks of release. Prices can change drastically during this period. We may offer a lower price on the cards of where we think they will end up, or may not accept the cards at all.
- We may also offer higher pricing on valuable, sought after cards that we have a low stock on at the store.
- There is not much of a market in central Illinois for foil Magic cards. We only offer 40% of the TCG Mid value as store credit for foils. Only very, very rarely will we pay cash for foil cards.
- Bulk card pricing. We all know that there are thousands and thousands of Magic cards, and most of them people are uninterested in playing with except on rare occasions. We like to have the rare cards, but odds are low that they will sell. Cards that are part of this sea of chaff are referred to as “bulk”. We define bulk as any rare or mythic rare not on our current Magic Buy List and valued at less than $2.00, any common or uncommon valued at less than $1.00, or any foil valued at less than $4.00. Red Raccoon Games pays the following rates for bulk Magic cards:
- Bulk mythic rares: $.25 each
- Bulk rares: $.10 each
- Bulk uncommons: $.003 each, or $3.00 per thousand**
- Bulk mixed uncommons: / commons: $.002 each, or $2.00 per thousand**
- Bulk commons: $.001 each, or $1.00 per thousand**
- ** You can earn a bonus of $1.00 per thousand on commons & uncommons if they are sorted when you get here. Sorted to us means they are sorted first into set, then into type (common or uncommon) and then into color. You save us some work, you get paid more!
- Red Raccoon Games does not buy cards for the 30 minutes before the start of any tournament. This is to make sure we get all players registered and the tournaments start on time.
- If you are bringing a large number of cards in to trade, we will mostly likely take your name and phone number, and price the cards out when the store is not busy. Pricing cards can take a long time to do correctly. We’ll then call you and offer a price – you can accept it or reject it as you choose. They are your cards until you either accept payment or pick up the cards.
- If you have any questions on this policy, please email jamie /~at~/ redraccoongames.com.
And now, our Magic Buy List: